I have a love-hate relationship with constructing forts. I love how it keeps Sofia occupied and happy, but some days I really dislike the logistics that come with it.
I love how it builds creativity and imagination. Sofia will construct moats over water with pillows, tunnels connecting to other fort areas, and comes up with crazy imaginative stories taking place within or around the fort. Some of the stories can become quite complicated, let me tell you! They also give her a good reason to play with other toys inside the fort, as this is something we tend to struggle with.
Then there are the times I don’t want to set one up for her. These are the reasons why…
- Fort needs to be created roughly five minutes after waking up in the morning. No need to worry about breakfast, or even waking up, we can focus on that once the fort is complete.
- Must be made entirely of pillows and a blanket. This includes ALL chaise lounge pillows except for the chaise lounger, even the small throw pillows.
- A blanket shall be kept inside to keep you warm. You are not allowed to reposition this or take it away. It is an essential part to the fort.
- The iPad must accompany said fort dweller, in case the urge to watch My Little Pony comes along.
- It must be dark at all times in the fort. Light is not allowed. This requires pulling the blanket over corners in hopes it fulfils this rule. Only exception to rule: if watching the living room tv, you may peak through the front door.
- Doors must be propped up. If they fall, it will be insisted upon you to fix them. Every time.
- Beagles are prohibited. No exceptions to rule, they wreak havoc.
- It may be insisted upon by dweller to consume all meals in said fort. Any following Beagle eating behaviour is not permitted.
- Said fort must remain up and intact for a certain length of time (the weekend) as any destruction caused will result in a meltdown of 4 yr old proportions.
So beware, anyone who desires to start this wonderful ritual, the above rules may somewhat apply to you as well.
Don’t get me wrong, we will continue building forts for Sofia, if anything to continue the happiness that exudes from her when she’s in them.
After fixing the fallen pillow door for the tenth time in an hour…
Ugh, you ruined my tent. It was so comfy!
Designated seating when the fort is in use…
Mom, you can sit on the couch and Dad you sit on the floor. What!!?? There’s no more room!