Cauliflower is an interesting vegetable. You can use in place of or to mimic another food due to it’s texture and taste. Numerous people I know have commented on making pizza crust with it or mashing it up like potatoes, and I’ve been itching to give one of these a try! I’m always game to substitute a starch or wheat product for a vegetable. I try to ensure we eat enough vegetables in our daily lives, but I know most days we’re still lacking in that department. I’m sorry, but sometimes vegetables can be boring. And I get bored! Quick! And when that happens, I want to avoid them at all costs. So what better idea than to make a pizza and disguise the crust. So that is what I did!
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 1/4 cup mozarrella cheese
- 1 egg
- Cook cauliflower until it’s soft. If using microwave, cook for 5 minutes on high with a 1/4 cup of water
- Mash cauliflower with a fork, then add egg and cheese and mix together with a hand-held mixer/food processor
- After mixing, spread mixture on a tea towel and squeeze out the liquid (this will help keep the mixture dry, I skipped this part and ours was too wet and didn’t stick together well).
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment/wax paper and spread out mixture, keeping it about 1/3″ thick
- Cook at 400F for 35-40 minutes
After baking, add desired toppings, return to 400F oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Then enjoy!!
I also had a sudden craving for a chocolate milkshake, so I quickly whipped up one with some vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, and milk. Delish!! Should have waited until after dinner as Sofia drank hers before starting to eat. Whoops! My bad.
Dinner sure was delicious though!